By endorsing and supporting quality education, the Alliance for Women in Media, Southern California (AWM SoCal), wishes to guarantee the future quality of radio, television, new media and related fields in Southern California. Toward that goal, AWM SoCal has established a scholarship fund to aid in the higher education of promising students. This complements AWM SoCal's mission: to advance the impact of women and men in the electronic media and allied fields by educating, advocating and acting as a resource to its members and the industry.
AWM SoCal will make available funds for annual scholarship awards for tuition and books. Awards will be announced on March 8, 2013. Scholarship winners will be invited to attend the Genii Awards in April 2013 (Date TBA).
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A Southern California resident (male or female) in Ventura, Orange, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, or Riverside counties.
- Attending a Southern California accredited four-year College as a junior, senior, or graduate student.
- Enrolled in television, radio or media courses or related curriculum.
- Enrolled in at least 9 semester hours Spring 2013.
- Verification by department head, advisor or counselor certifying applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
- Previous AWM Southern California scholarship winners are eligible.
Judges will consider each applicant’s depth of thought, clarity of expression and commitment to radio, television, media or related field as a primary future career. Extracurricular activities, community involvement and application legibility also will be considered. Work or internship experience in radio or TV or related field is important. Up to three current letters of recommendation from a college professor, counselor, and/or industry professional will be evaluated. Please include the letters of reference with your scholarship application.
How To Apply:
Complete the online application form below. Or request a hard copy of the application form by emailing us at AWMSoCal@gmail.com.
The online application must submitted by Monday, February 10, 2013. Hard copy applications must be postmarked by Monday, February 10, 2013.
If filling out a hard copy application, mail your completed application materials to: AWM SoCal, Attn: Scholarships, PO Box 11043, Burbank, CA 91510.
Please be sure to provide the following:
- Completed application form
- Transcript – this can be an unofficial transcript. Many schools have Degree Progress Reports and these are acceptable.
- Up to three current reference letters from counselors, teachers, employers, and/or industry professionals who know you.
- 1-3 page typewritten essay. Presentation and clarity of thought are assessed.
The AWM Scholarship committee will review the applications and select the winners. Winners will be contacted on March 8, 2013.