The Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship Program
The scholarship program was developed to increase student interest in a career in sports medicine. One scholarship for the amount of two thousand ($2,000) will be awarded to a selected individual in return for a six-week summer internship (forty hours per week, six weeks in a row, starting date is negotiable) at the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine. The recipient must have transportation to the clinic during the summer internship.
The recipient will have the opportunity to observe patient evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation by physical therapists and athletic trainers, observe clients in the Sports Performance Department., and observe surgery with Dr. Fu. The recipient will also have responsibilities comparable to those of a Physical Therapy Aide including: greeting patients, preparing treatment areas, and preparing hot and cold packs.
To qualify for the scholarship the applicant must be entering his/her senior year of high school (i.e., the applicant must be a senior in September 2012). In addition, the applicant must also exhibit a substantial interest in a career in sports medicine. The scholarship will be awarded based on the following:
- Commitment to a career in sports medicine
- Academic excellence
- Leadership qualities
- Community involvement
- Financial need
Individuals interested in applying must complete the following:
- Complete the online application
Applications must be completed by April 21, 2012
- Applicant will receive an email confirmation once the application has been submitted
- Obtain two letters of recommendation specifying academic strengths, leadership
skills, and community service.
- Request the Guidance Counselor Form be completed and signed by the school Guidance Counselor.
- Mail in letters of recommendation along with the Guidance Counselor Form to the following address:
Melissa Galvin, ATC, CSCS
Athletic Training & Development Department
Center for Sports Medicine
3200 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Must be postmarked by Saturday, April 21,2012
Scholarship Program Implementation
- Program description and applications will be distributed to Guidance Counselors at local high schools in February 2012.
- Applications must be postmarked by Saturday, April 21, 2012.
- All applications will be reviewed by a Scholarship Committee. The top three to five candidates will be interviewed by the Committee. The final selection of the scholarship recipient will be determined by Dr. Freddie Fu.
- All applicants will be notified of the final decision by Friday, June 1, 2012.
- The scholarship recipient will serve their internship at the Center for Sports Medicine for six weeks (40 hours per week, six weeks in a row) in the summer of 2012 (starting date will be mutually determined). They will be oriented as to the opportunities and responsibilities associated with the scholarship program.
Feel free to contact me with any questions at SportsMedScholarship@upmc.edu or 412-432-3770. Thank you for your interest in the “Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship Program.”
Melissa Galvin, ATC, CSCS
Chair, Freddie Fu Sports Medicine