To apply, immediate family members (a representative if no immediate family exists) will need to bring the following to MCHS and complete an application, Mon-Fri, 8 to 5pm. Other documents may be required if needed to make a determination. Applicants may also complete an application and upload documents online at minnehahacounty.org under the Human Services department webpage at https://fs23.formsite.com/WCMBy1/apply-for-assistance/index.html (click to apply).
For the deceased: ◊ Proof of residency ◊ Proof of income (paystubs, income tax return, employer statement) ◊ Bank Statement ◊ Documentation of other assets (property, licensed vehicles not needed unless outside of SD) ◊ Discharge document if veteran (DD 214) ◊ Obituary as drafted by funeral home
For the family members (spouse, children of adult age, adult siblings, parents, grandparents): ◊ Proof of income (paystubs, income tax return, employer statement) ◊ Bank statements These documents will assist caseworker in determining family’s ability to pay or make payments.
- Financial help will be a loan from the County and a lien will be placed on the estate and on certain family members responsible for the deceased individual, such as a spouse.
- The County has a cemetery that may be utilized if assistance is approved. If so, there is no cost.
- Any County assistance must be pre-authorized.
- When the County provides assistance, the funeral home cannot charge the family the difference. Payment by the County is considered to be “payment in full”.
- A final decision will be made within five business days after requested documents are returned to MCHS.