The year-long CTE Leaders Academy (the Academy) will: 1) position CTE leaders to transform and scale effective career pathways systems, 2) engage CTE leaders in collaborative problem solving and development, 3) elevate leadership abilities through the practice of change agency skills and transformative leadership, 4) develop and communicate a clear vision for the pivotal role of CTE in state career pathways systems, and 5) align with key partners in career pathways efforts.
The Academy application seeks to identify interested and committed state teams of CTE leaders who can dedicate time and resources to the process and are willing to make the necessary strides in their states to advance career pathways. Application Forms must be submitted by 3:00 P.M. EST on June 10, 2016.
State applicants will be reviewed on the following criteria:
- Vision of the role of CTE in the state’s career pathways system (20 pts)
- Goals for participation in the Academy (20pts)
- Leadership team composition (30pts)
- Support for participation and implementation (30pts)
- Experience implementing career pathways systems (not scored - reviewers will use this section solely to assist with creating a cohort of states with mixed levels of experience.)
The following are descriptions of key terms referenced in the application.
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014 (WIOA) defines career pathways as a combination of rigorous and high quality education, training, and other service that:
- aligns with the skill needs of industries in the economy of the state or regional economy involved;
- prepares an individual to be successful in any of a full range of secondary or postsecondary education options, including registered apprenticeships;
- includes counseling to support an individual in achieving the individual’s education and career goals;
- includes, as appropriate, education offered concurrently with and in the same context as workforce preparation activities and training for a specific occupation or occupational cluster;
- organizes education, training, and other services to meet the particular needs of an individual in a manner that accelerates the educational and career advancement of the individual to the extent practicable;
- enables an individual to attain a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent, and at least one recognized postsecondary credential; and
- helps an individual enter or advance within a specific occupation or occupational cluster.